Friday 18 November 2011

Honey Biscuits, or manna in the desert

Soundtrack to the evening: History of the Brain podcast.

The lack of recent posts has been due not to a lack of material, but to a lack of time to get any of it down on paper (as it were).

Tomorrow is Holiday Club Reunion, and we'll be looking at God's grace in looking after his people in the desert with the provision of quail and manna.  According to Exodus 16, manna tasted a little like wafers made with honey.  Well!  That's a challenge not to be resisted, so some honey biscuits were definitely the order of the day (as well as quail made of funky foam, but more of those another time, perhaps).  This recipe is adapted from one given to me by my lovely friend Kathryn.


Cream together 75g butter (I try and remember to take it out of the fridge at least an hour before trying to cook with it) and 3 tablespoons of honey.  I used set honey because, to be honest, it was on the reduced counter in the co-op.


Add 1 cup of sugar, I used light brown muscovado, and cream again.

Chuck in 1 1/2 cups plain flour and beat in.


You could take the whole lot out and knead it a little, but I just kneaded each little bit in turn.  About 1 rounded tsp of mixture to a cookie.  I made two batches and they both came out at exactly 20 biscuits, which annoys me because I like multiples of 6 when I'm cooking.



Knead the dough briefly until it stops crumbling, then shape into a flattened round.  Put onto a baking sheet lined with greaseproof.  Put them further apart than shown here or they'll run together.


Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Mine took up two baking sheets per batch, so I did 8 minutes, swapped them around and gave them a further 3 1/2 minutes.

Allow to cool before attempting to remove them from the greaseproof.  They will come out of the oven quite poofey, then settle down into a golden, chewy mass.  Mmm, mmm, mmm!

All I need now is a nice roast quail...

No comments:

Post a Comment