Friday 4 November 2011

Getting Crafty: Advent 1

Soundtrack to the early evening: more Radio 4.  Of course.

I'm sorting out our Sunday School Advent sessions, starting with the craft.  I enjoy doing craft, but I struggle to think of what to do.  I thought Advent Sunday itself would be a good day to make an advent calendar of some description, but all my ideas were too complex to pull off in the limited time offered by the session.  In the end I adapted this from an idea on a beautiful homemade gifts blog.  I apologise that the end product is not the thing of beauty that the original is.

In order to make it simple enough to do in one session with the children, I've gone all liturgical and gone for a design which only features Sundays.

Start with a square of paper around 15cm square:



Fold it in half:



Fold the front top peak down to the bottom fold (instructions like that is why I use pictures):



Unfold that last one to leave a crease.
Fold the bottom corner in so that the side lines up with the crease:



Repeat with the other side and stick both corners down.  I used sticky fixers which made it nicely 3D.
The top fold can be up or locked back down:



Repeat with 3 other squares.
Stick labels onto the pockets and mount them onto card.
Tuck a card with the day's message, along with a chocolate coin, into each pocket.  The cards remind the kids about what they're looking at in Sunday School that day.
As each one is opened and read, the top flap is folded down to show it's been and gone.



The final thing will be done in more Christmassy colours.

Great stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment